Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Building RPMs without building SRPMs?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:38:27 -0800
On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:35 PM, morriss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=48105
>
> User: morriss
> Date: 2013/03/05 01:35 PM
>
> Log:
> Don't have a separate srpm-package target: we already build the SRPM while building the RPM (since r47574).

Is there a compelling reason to build both at once and not to allow building an RPM without building an SRPM?  Ricardo Pérez's problem wouldn't have occurred had he been able to build an RPM without building an SRPM, right?

A *distribution* might want to build both, but if somebody's building an RPM so that people can install their customized version of Wireshark as a binary (and providing the source as a tarball to anybody who wants it), would allowing building just the RPM, not the SRPM, be OK?