Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] dlg_utils.c comment completely obsolete ??

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:34:49 -0800
On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In dlg_utils.c:
>
> GtkWidget *
> dlg_window_new(const gchar *title)
> {
>
> /*
> * XXX - if we're running in the capture child process,

The "capture child process" is now dumpcap; the only reason why the capture child process would try to pop up a window would be if, on an exec failure, it tried reporting that by popping up a window rather than just sending stuff on the pipe to the parent, and it doesn't do that.

So, yes, the comment is obsolete, given that...

> * Perhaps the child process should only capture packets, write them to
> * a file, and somehow notify the parent process and let *it* do all
> * the GUI work.  If we can do that efficiently (so that we don't drop
> * more packets), perhaps we can also do so even when we're *not* doing
> * an "Update list of packets in real time" capture.  That'd let the
> * child process run set-UID on platforms where you need that in order
> * to capture, and might also simplify the job of having the GUI main
> * loop wait both for user input and packet arrival.

...we're now doing exactly that, complete with the "even when we're *not* doing an "Update list of packets in real time" capture" part.