Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Registering Dissector for Private SNAP PID

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:39:07 -0800
On Mar 5, 2013, at 5:39 AM, Christopher Merck <cmerck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I wish to write a dissector for a protocol that uses an LLC SNAP header, followed by a particular OUI and PID.
>
>  It seems I cannot do so in Lua because "llc.dsap" is the only dissector table registered by "packet-llc.c".
>
>  I believe the correct way to proceed is to register a new dissector table along the lines of "llc.oui",

I believe the correct way to proceed would be to add llc_add_oui() to the Lua API, so that Lua dissectors that need to handle a not-already-registered OUI can register that OUI, including a new dissector table for PIDs in that OUI, and then a dissector (no matter what language it's in) could register in that table.