Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Registering Dissector for Private SNAP PID

From: Christopher Merck <cmerck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:39:17 +0000

Hi All,

 I wish to write a dissector for a protocol that uses an LLC SNAP header, followed by a particular OUI and PID.

 It seems I cannot do so in Lua because "llc.dsap" is the only dissector table registered by "packet-llc.c".

 I believe the correct way to proceed is to register a new dissector table along the lines of "llc.oui", then Lua dissectors may hook into that to handle particular OUIs. Perhaps this is not optimal because a dissector will then need to handle all PIDs for a single OUI. It will need to hand off the dissection down another level. So, perhaps the OUI and PID should be handled at once, something like "llc.ouipid".

 Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,

 Chris

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.