Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Lightweight markup for release notes

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 15:39:54 -0800
On 3/4/13 2:33 PM, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> On 03/04/2013 08:45 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:
>> Would anyone object to using a lighter-weight markup language for the
>> release notes such as Markdown or reStructuredText?
>
> I myself have been looking into AsciiDoc, for use with the Users and Developers
> Guide. It seems to me that the two projects you mentioned are a bit stale?
> AsciiDoc seems more capable of being used throughout as Wireshark's
> documentation format, maybe.

Markdown and reStructuredText are used in a wide variety if places, e.g.
GitHub, Stack Exchange, Python (documentation), and our Q&A site.

The specifications themselves are a different story. Markdown in
particular has fragmented a bit, which has caused a bit of concern:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/10/the-future-of-markdown.html