Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling for Windows XP

From: Max Baker <max@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:56:32 -0800
Hi All,

I was able to compile 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Wireshark
(http://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=708).

I installed and tested both on a 32-bit Windows 7 and 64-bit Windows 7
Machine.

However, one user is saying that the 32-bit build does not work for him
for Windows XP.   After install he is reporting the error
"c:\programs\wireshark\wireshark.exe isn't a valid windows program".

Does this ring any bells for anyone?  Is there any steps needed to cross
compile an XP-friendly version from Win7?

Also, one small nit with
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html :
I had to swap #1 and #2 or the process fails.

It's a strange error when this happens:
Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has
reported the following error: Please refer to
Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information. "

Similar to this  :
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/thread/8f3350f9-0b47-40ae-b070-f2ccbf041875/

Swapping the order of #1 and #2 allowed me to compile both versions ok.

Thanks,
-m