Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark option for reassembled fragment output

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 08:29:59 +0000
On Mar 3, 2013, at 10:00 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> === filtering ===
>
> I *really* do not like the renumbering of frames that the read filters
> currently do (-R in wireshark, -2R in tshark). I find it confusing and
> not useful entirely apart from the fact that there is no graceful way
> for it to handle reassembly dependencies (see my "frame 1 depends on
> frames 1 and 1" example earlier). Does anybody know why it was added
> in the first place? It seems to me that it adds very little that was
> not already available by using a regular display filter and saving the
> results to a new file.

I think it lets you load a very large capture file with only the frames you care about and avoid the long-wait-cycles during displaying, changing the display filter, and running stats and such... though I don't have a very large pcap to test that theory on.  The number of times the frames in the frame list are re-dissected during normal use is impressive. :)

-hadriel