Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark option for reassembled fragment output

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 22:50:39 -0500
My instinct is to get rid of the 'read filter' concept entirely. I
find it's behaviour in wireshark very confusing, especially in the
reassembly cases we're considering. For example, take the capture from
bug #8223 and run

./wireshark -R "ip.src == 10.90.130.69 && ip.dst == 10.90.130.66 &&
tcp.flags.push == 1" ~/testcapture.pcapng

You get a single frame (numbered frame 1) that displays as "2
Reassembled TCP Segments (1765 bytes): #1(1460), #1(305)". There's no
explanation in the UI as to why we now seem to have three different
"frame 1"s floating around (I understand why, but I'm just saying it
leads to a very confusing interface).

I would prefer to simplify by removing -R from wireshark, changing
2-pass analysis in tshark to not renumber the frames, and then not
adding a new flag for the proposed feature. If someone really wants to
do a 'read filter' style thing they can pipe two instances together,
or save and reopen the filtered file.

Evan