Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Simpifying exporting DLL symbols

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:06:59 +0100
2013/2/26 Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

I have created the attached patch to control symbol visibility using
C defines instead of .def and .sym files. It is expected to work on every
platform and every build system we support, but I did not want to
commit it without discussing the direction.

I have tested it using autotools and CMake, but I could not give it a try on
Windows or OS X. If you have some time and access to those platform
please test the patch.

The rationale behind making this change is simplifying the method we maintain
the set of exported symbols and it is also needed by the CMake build.
AFAIK we can't use the .def and .sym files in CMake.

If we agree to go this way I'll convert libwireshark and libwiretap, too.
If you have concerns or comments, please share them. :-)

Hi Balint,
I just tried your patch on my Win32 box (MSVC2010) and it seems to be working fine: symbols exported by libwsutil.dll are the same before and after the patch.

Regards,
Pascal.