Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] EXTERNAL: Windows Installer for Gtk+3.6.2 and gtkmm-3.6.0

From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:06:14 -0500

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Unfortunately our efforts are severely impacted by the lack of official GTK+
installers for Windows and OS X and this uncertainty was a major reason which
brought the Qt port alive.

I'm not speaking as a representative of the GTK project, but I will note that as the lead developer of a large scale app that uses GTK to provide portability to Linux, OS X and Windows, it is my judgement that you should plan to bundle GTK within your application and not rely on it being installed separately. I can speak to this less on Windows, where I have less understanding of things, but on OS X it simply makes a lot more sense to cook up a .app bundle with everything your application needs, including GTK and really seems to reflects Apple's intentions for 3rd party apps that rely on additional 3rd party libraries.

--p