Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Google Summer of Code 2013

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:00:19 -0800
On 2/15/13 8:23 AM, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2013, at 2:15 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 14, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Provide a way for Wireshark to automatically check-for and optionally auto-retrieve the most recent version from wireshark's site/mirrors,
>>
>> For which operating systems?
>>
>> The only ones for which the Wireshark project provides binaries are Windows and OS X.  ("Linux" is an unlikely target, unless there's a way to make Linux binaries that work on multiple different distributions.)
>
> Mac OSX and Windows.

A combination of Sparkle, WinSparkle, or Fervor might do what we need:

http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/
http://winsparkle.org/
https://github.com/pypt/fervor

Each supports the "Appcast" RSS format so the method for checking for
updates on the client end and the release process on the server end
would presumably be the same on each platform.