Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Setting column text using a Lua plugin

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:02:10 +0000
On Feb 11, 2013, at 7:37 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> *If* Wireshark is supposed to support setting columns in taps, rather than in dissectors or in post-dissectors:
> 	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Lua/Examples/PostDissector
> *then* the listener taps would have to be called whenever the columns are being generated.
> However, I'm not sure it's supposed to support that.
> You might want to try using a post-dissector instead.

Right, knew I could do that - but I was trying to update an old example named "editing columns" in:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Lua/Examples/

It's woefully out of date, but basically it tried to swap the src and dst column text using a listener tap.
So I was going to fix it to the newer WSLUA API, but discovered one couldn't do this in wireshark, but could in tshark.
I guess I'll just fix it and have it say "works for tshark only".

Thanks for the info!

-hadriel