Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 47460: / /trunk/: Makefile.am debian

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 11:16:26 +0100
2013/2/4 Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Feb 3, 2013, at 4:29 PM, guy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Try creating a script for Debian and derivatives that will grab the
>> packages necessary for Wireshark development, using apt-get.
>
> Maybe it should parse the "Build-Depends:" line in debian/control and get the list of packages to install from there, so that only one file in the source tree has a list of Debian dependencies.
It would be better than the current solution, but it will still
inherit the problem we have with the package-maintenance-in-upstream
concept.
The list of package names may be valid on one dpkg-based distribution
version and may be invalid on an other because they may have diverged
in library names or versions.

> (And perhaps use the Requires: lines from packaging/rpm/SPECS/wireshark.spec.in in scripts for RPM-based Linuxes?  It'd probably have to stick -dev after the package names.)
The naming of libraries are not consistent across rpm and dpgk based
distributions thus it may cause extra problems.

I'm not sure what we want to solve here.

'apt-get build-dep wireshark' worked for me perfectly so far and
adding one or two extra libs in case they are missing should not be a
huge challenge for anyone working on trunk, I think.

Cheers,
Balint