Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Reducing Autotools verbosity

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:09:54 -0800
On Feb 2, 2013, at 5:10 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/01/2013 10:35 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:
>> Would anyone object to enabling silent build rules by default in
>> configure.ac (line 691)? It drastically reduces the amount of output
>> during compilation. For example
>>
>>  CC       file.lo
>>
>> replaces a screen full of text. You would still be able to show verbose
>> output with "configure --disable-silent-rules" or "make V=1".
>
> Lets give it a spin and see how it goes.

I've found the actual command line useful when trying to debug some build problems (e.g., if I'm trying to figure out whether some configure script/Makefile.am change is passing the right arguments), but that happens rarely enough that, as long as it can be overridden, the quieter rules would probably make it *easier* to find the sort of build problems that *typically* occur (because error and warning messages stand out more if the actual build lines are short).