Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Having issues with wireshark dissector installation

From: Arshad <heyarshad@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:10:55 -0600
Hello,

I am a newbie to programming. I am having issues with compiling the a basic dissector that I created as per the developer guide. I have the code but I am not able to compile it. I tried the steps to build it, but having issues with compiling it. I tried from WIndows to compile it and followed the step by step guide: http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html But I am getting error installing the SDK and it shows installation failed.

"A problem occurred while installing selected Windows SDK components.

Installation of the "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7" product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information."

Can I get some help in fixing it.

Also I am trying it from my Ubuntu machine also. Can someone give me some guidance how to compile it from Ubuntu machine. I have the same setup inside my ubuntu VM. I have created a new directory inside the plugins folder with all the necessary files and the new plugin.c. Should I compile it in the same way I compiled wireshark or are there any other steps I need to follow?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Arshad