Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] VLAN statistics

From: Andreas Sikkema <h323@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:48:57 +0100
Hi,

Recently we've been trying to find which VLANs in a network carry the
most traffic (which VLAN is the "top talker"). There's no easy way to
extract this information from a current Wireshark, as far as I know
(someone may have introduced this the last few months while I wasn't
looking, though).

I am thinking of adding an 802.1q (or VLAN) item to
Statistics/Conversation List. I've dug around the code around the
Ethernet conversations and I think I could get it working, but I am
having some questions about what's going on in conversations_table.c.
A VLAN doesn't have a source/destination address or port as such, so
am I barking up the wrong tree?

conversations_eth.c/h suggest the basics shouldn't be too difficult,
but the question above bothers me enough to not start coding
immediately ;-)

So, can someone point me a little further in the right direction?

--
Andreas Sikkema