Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] PCAPng Name Resolution Blocks

From: Jasper Bongertz <jasper.bongertz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:22:17 +0100
Hi all,

can anyone tell me when Wireshark/Dumpcap will actually write a Name
Resolution Block to a pcapng file? I have a file written with an older
dumpcap version (I guess it was pre 1.8) that contains a NRB but the
latest 1.9 build doesn't seem to do that at all.

I tried with DNS queries enabled, and even edited a hosts file to see
under which circumstances the resulting pcapng file would contain a
NRB. It didn't work, no matter what I tried. Is it possible that the
code writing this kind of block is not being called anymore?

I'd expect Wireshark to write a NRB containing all records whenever a
name resolution is not coming from DNS packets contained in a file
(which would make it reproducable when opening the file, even without
the NRB).

Thanks,
Jasper