Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Deprecate some UI preferences?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:02:11 -0500
On 1/18/2013 1:21 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:
Does anyone use the packet list and protocol tree selection mode
preferences? A long time ago in a GTK+ version far far away you could
click-drag in GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE mode and have the selection follow
the mouse. Now GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE and GTK_SELECTION_SINGLE behave
nearly the same, with slight differences when you hold down the shift or
control keys:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2008-April/msg00015.html

I don't think those differences are significant enough to warrant using
up space in the preferences dialog.

I certainly have never changed this preference....

In a similar vein, does anyone use
the right/left scrollbar placement preference? Unless anyone objects I'm
going to deprecate them.

+1

I agree. Among other things, there's some number of windows which don't actually follow the preference.

---------

On a different note:

I sometimes think that it might be good to have a separate entry under Edit ! for the protocol prefs; i.e., Edit ! Protocol Preferences

More often than not I want to change a protocol pref and it's just a bit annoying to have to downarrow thru all the other prefs first to get to the protocol prefs.

It the protocol prefs are a separate entry under Edit ! then I think the protocol prefs should then always just start out as expanded.