Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] SCTP De-chunking support

From: vineeth vijay <vineethvijaysv@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:37:09 +0530
Hi All,

Has the de-chunking of SCTP within wireshark been attempted yet? I noticed some old conversations in mailing list in this regard, but nothing concrete has turned up yet. While trying to do this in tshark, I have tried calling tshark's process_packet() function from packet-sctp.c file in dissectors but got nowhere due to linking issues. I feel the way to do this would be:

1) Create a global copy of entire frame at initial stage (Is there any other way to access the entire frame structure from packet-sctp where ultimately the decision whether to do de-chunking or not would be made. )
2) In case there are several chunks in the packet, allow the completion of processing till first chunk and create  composite tvbs consisting of eth+ip+sctp_header+remaining_individual_chunks.
3) Correct IP checksums and length in the composite Tvb.
4) Process these tvb's individuallly. (Is this possible with the rule to have a single capture file at a time?? Can a capture file structure be modified on the fly?)

Is the above process doable without breaking wireshark/tshark processing structure? Can anybody suggest a better solution...

Vineeth