Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Some quick Bugzilla statistics

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 22:29:39 +0100
On 01/05/2013 10:02 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Christopher Maynard
> <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Bill Meier <wmeier@...> writes:

>>> On that note: Another interesting stat: A record year for commits
>>>
>>> Commits to svn trunk
>>>
>>> 1998       136
>>> 1999      1247
>>> 2000      1383
>>> 2001      1652
>>> 2002      2332
>>> 2003      2660
>>> 2004      3262
>>> 2005      3945
>>> 2006      3138
>>> 2007      3661
>>> 2008      3043
>>> 2009      4011
>>> 2010      3475
>>> 2011      4602
>>> 2012      5851
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> On that note: Another interesting stat: A record low for messages posted to both
>> the wireshark-users and wireshark-dev mailing lists.  I'm not sure what to make
>> of that, but I'm guessing that the drop is at least somewhat due to users and
>> developers asking questions on ask.wireshark.org instead of through the mailing
>> lists.  Hopefully it's not indicative of something else, such as a declining
>> interest in Wireshark.
>>
>> YEAR      -users      -dev      -commits      -bugs      -announce
>> 2012      946         2671      8211          10457      22
>> 2011      1406        4017      5417          8626       25
>> 2010      2911        3918      4004          7833       22
>> 2009      2974        4178      4375          6273       17
>> 2008      3339        3939      3260          6072       14
>> 2007      2529        5667      3796          4759       11
>> 2006      1255        2969      2073          1563       9
>>
>> Any ask.wireshark.org stats?
>
> None that appear to be publicly accessible.
>
> For what it's worth, ask.wireshark.org went online in September 2010,
> which does line up with the drop in volume on -users and -dev.
>
> Tangentially, is it perhaps worth closing -users in order to
> consolidate all support into the ask site?
>
> Evan
>
>> - Chris
>> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/
>> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-commits/
>> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-bugs/
>> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-announce/

Well, there's a little you can figure out:

First question (1) posted 04 Sep '10
Last question (17472) posted 05 Jan '13

So if we distribute that through some URL manipulation:
'10: #1570  	+1570
'11: #8170	+6600
'12: #17341	+9171
'13: #17472	+131
(note: not all entries seem to have questions associated with them?)
Maybe the management panel can give some more stats.

This matches nicely with the drop in -user and -dev mailing entries.
Mailing lists seem to go out of style, like anything not web based.
Time to write a XUL interface for Wireshark?

Thanks,
Jaap