Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] HELP Needed to avail wireshark's functionality as a command

From: Alex Lindberg <alindber@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 10:50:43 -0800 (PST)
In the GUI, Wireshark will play G.711 with a built in player.

1
st - You can have wireshark "see" rtp packets without doing the "Decode As" stuff.

Edit->Preferences->Protocols->RTP.  Select "Try to decode RTP outside of conversations".

2nd - Wireshark will only play G.711 (Mu
 or A) law.

If there is a complete "call" that is SIP/H323 setup messages + RTP then do

    Telephony -> Voice Calls.  Select the stream of interest and click "play"

If there is only RTP, then do:

    Telephony -> RTP -> select all streams.  Find the streams of interest and select "Analyze".  Now click "Player".

If your RTP is not G.711, there are my answers available on Google to decode the media, but it won't be done inside Wireshark.

If you wish to create a media stream with command line tshark, there a number of scripts that will just extract the media portion of the packets and put the results together.  The final file is a G711 (PCM  A or MU law) file that can be played as you describe.  These scripts don't do any analysis, but just look into the packet an offset where the media starts.

Alex Lindberg