Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Packet Loss due to Disk Contention with Running Dumpcap in a

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:17:09 -0500
John Powell wrote:
I am looking at using a SSD for my OS and my Capture volume which may help out with the Disk IO issue but eliminating the copy from the /TMP would definitely be an asset.

I found it interesting that at one of the Sharkfest presentations a few years ago one of the CACE tech (now Riverbed) guys said NOT to use SSDs for high-speed capturing. IIRC they had tried them and found them slower than old-fashioned high-speed disks for continuous writing.