Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 46431: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:04:11 -0800
On Dec 6, 2012, at 11:28 PM, Дмитрий Дьяченко <dimhen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FYI
> gcc-4.8 will be more useful with -Wshadow :
>
> may be, use -Wshadow only with new compiler?

Or "with a compiler that doesn't worry about variables shadowing functions", i.e. strengthen the test we're currently using for -Wshadow to check for that as well.

However, we've already fixed some instances of "index" as a variable (although perhaps it's time for UN*Xes still offering index() and rindex() to deprecate or just drop that, to encourage people to go with the Shiny New 1989 ANSI C Standard version, which really dates back to at least System III in the early 1980's), so -Wshadow doesn't currently have an issue there.  If it pops up again, we could strengthen the configure-script test rather than changing code - or we could revert those changes and strengthen the test.