Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture start and capture stop icons in the toolbar

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:15:43 -0500
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Michael Tuexen
<Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2012, at 9:06 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Michael Tuexen
>> <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi Evan,
>>>
>>> the capture options dialog was rethought for 1.8 to support the
>>> capturing from multiple interfaces. We wanted to clean things up
>>> on the one hand side, don't change too much on the other.
>>
>> That was already in trunk when I first started hacking on Wireshark :)
> .. OK.
>>
>> I'm not too familiar with the old (1.6?) dialog, but after a quick
>> glance at some old documentation screenshots it looks like the 1.8
>> version is already a lot cleaner than it was.
>>
>>> So if you have concrete suggestions how to improve the capture
>>> options dialog box, Irene and myself will be more than happy
>>> to discuss it. Please provide some feedback.
>>
>> I have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head - I will try and do
>> some simple wireframes tonight, but for now, a quick summary:
>>
>> Three tabs: Input, Output, Options
>> - Input tab contains some melding of the list of interfaces in
>> "capture options" and the list of interfaces in "capture interfaces".
>> - Output tab contains everything from the "Capture File(s)" section in
>> "capture options", plus possibly a few more we don't expose right now.
>> - Options tab contains the other three sections from "capture options"
>> (display options, name resolution, stop capture...)
> I would like to get input also from others...
>
> Our users are somewhat used to the current layout. So we should have
> good reasons to change it. One reason would be to have space for
> more options. Not sure.

My primary reason for re-organizing it this way is that the interface
list is already quite large (I have six interfaces listed) and if we
merge in the other dialog it will just get larger - the window will
end up too big with too many controls in it at once.

Open to other suggestions of course, but that's the problem I was
trying to solve.

>> Some misc other things I've been thinking about:
>> - it would be nice if the "Capture on all interfaces" checkbox lived
>> in the column title as a master checkbox (see the "In Store" column at
>> [1] for an example).
> I think we follow (to some extend) the Human Interface Guidelines
> for GTK. Do they have something like this?

Not that I've been able to find, though they do seem to have
multiple-selection checkboxes in some circumstances (see figure 6-12
in [1]).

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.5/controls-check-boxes.html.en

>> - it would be nice if the "Prom. Mode" column contained editable
>> checkboxes, and the "Capture all in promiscuous mode" was a column
>> master checkbox as well
> Same question as above.
>> - it's not immediately clear in the "Stop Capture..." section whether
>> multiple checked options will be combined with a logical AND or a
>> logical OR
> Not sure, we took it over.

I suspect it's using OR, but I'm not sure where to look to find out.

>> - same AND vs OR issue with the various "Use multiple files" options
> Not sure, we took it over.
>> - the "capture interfaces" dialog has a button for each interface,
>> whereas the "capture options" dialog has double-clickable rows -- I'm
>> not sure which one is better, but we should pick one (I'm leaning
>> towards the buttons)
> You must be using Windows... Only on Windows you have a Details button
> in the capture interfaces dialog. This is different form what you
> get when double clicking on the capture options dialog box.
> In the capture options dialog box we didn't use a button to save space...

I see that the "Details" button doesn't exist on my linux version - do
we not have access to that extra information on non-windows platforms?

I will send some simple sketches shortly.

Evan