Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 46239: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:32:31 -0500
Michael Tuexen wrote:
On Nov 28, 2012, at 12:13 AM, morriss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=46239

User: morriss
Date: 2012/11/27 03:13 PM

Log:
Warn about non-final parameters that aren't padded correctly.  I'm not sure
that final parameters *with* padding is all that important (maybe it should
be there but not PI_ERROR?).

Sorry, I keep forgetting to respond...

Do you have an example where the non-final parameter is not padded correctly?
I though this can't happen, so I took the expert warning out. But possibly
I missed a case.

What do you mean it "can't happen?" Of course an implementation could fail to pad the parameter correctly. In fact I thought I saw one which is why I put the expert info in. Though in the end it turned out that it *was* the last parameter.

RFC 4960 says regarding the chunk length:
 The Chunk Length value does not include terminating padding of the
 chunk.  However, it does include padding of any variable-length
 parameter except the last parameter in the chunk.  The receiver
 MUST ignore the padding.

 Note: A robust implementation should accept the chunk whether or
 not the final padding has been included in the Chunk Length.

So I changed the code to make the "except the last parameter in the chunk"
visible. At least this made me aware of a bug in the FreeBSD implementation.
So we should have such an expert info.

I have to admit that exception confused me greatly. I was going to ask the tsvwg about it. I'm not quite sure I see the point. And of course there's no key word (MUST, SHOULD) to tell us how important is the exception. My presumption would be not many implementations would blow up if the exception were not taken into account--thus my comment about maybe including the expert info but not making it PI_ERROR. PI_NOTE maybe?