Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tcp graphs vs. sctp graphs

From: Jim Young <jyoung@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:17:55 +0000
Hello Martin,

On 11/20/12 9:12 AM, "Martin Mathieson"
<martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Alex, do you still see crashes when switching graph type?
>Martin

I'm not trying to answer for Alex, but I also saw the
crashes in the tcp graphs before your most recent patches.

I haven't crashed since your last patches. ;-)

But I do see some inconstancies when switching between graphs.
Especially if I have zoomed in and then zoomed out.  I've
been using the tcptrace graph launched from new buttons
on the TCP Conversations window (nice!)).

This evening I'll take some snapshots and try to document
what I see happening.  But it looks like when displaying the
tcptrace style graph that the gray and blue lines do not always
get painted.   I see this on my OSX Snow Leopard laptop with
with both the buildbot Wireshark and locally built Wireshark.

One thing I have noticed missing from the tcp graphs for quite a
while is the display of the g->title values:

> bash-3.2$ grep -n "g->title\[0\]" *
> tcp_graph.c:3986:	g->title[0] = "Time/Sequence Graph (Stevens)";
> tcp_graph.c:4222:	g->title[0] = "Time/Sequence Graph (tcptrace)";
> tcp_graph.c:4527:	g->title[0] = "Throughput Graph";
> tcp_graph.c:4560:	g->title[0] = "Round Trip Time Graph";
> tcp_graph.c:4769:	g->title[0] = "Window Scaling Graph";
> bash-3.2$

This text used to be centered in the canvas above the graph.
I'm not sure when g-title text stopped being displayed but perhaps
it was when Cairo support was added.

The lack of the g->title text along with the intermittent loss
of the gray and blue lines in the tcptrace style graph had me
thinking I was looking at the Steven's style graph.

Unless you think otherwise it's probably best if I open up bug
reports for both of these tcp graph issues so they don't get lost.

Thanks,

Jim Y.