Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark on Windows

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:38:17 +0000

On 14 November 2012 20:14, David Ameiss <netshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Building the 32-bit version of Wireshark in the same environment (Windows 7, VS2010EE), the resulting Wireshark.exe runs correctly on Vista.

So now I'm starting to think either (a) VS2010EE 64-bit executables can only be run on Windows 7 [at least if built on Windows 7], or (b) my setup for building 64-bit on Windows 7 isn't quite correct. And since the 64-bit Wireshark runs just fine on Windows 7, I'm leaning toward (a) above.

My understanding is that the Wireshark build machine for 64-bit is using VS2010, not VS2010EE. Is that correct?

The missing IESHIMS.DLL isn't an issue, I think it's some sort of compatibility dll that I've noticed depends always reports as missing.

What does the output of "dumpbin /headers path\to\your\wireshark\exectuable" look like for the version that doesn't work.  The interesting bit is the first part of the output, the section headers bits aren't much use in this case.

What I would like to see is the pe header windows target.