Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark on Windows

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:39:19 +0800
On 11/14/12 3:38 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> David Ameiss wrote:
>> What is the platform used by Wireshark to build the "official" 32- and
>> 64-bit Windows versions? I've followed the instructions given at
>> http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html, on
>> Windows 7 using VS 2010EE (which seem to be the recommended platform).
>> Builds fine, runs fine on Window 7. But on XP and Vista (at least),
>> running the generated Wireshark installer works fine, but trying to
>> run Wireshark always results in "Wireshark is not a valid Win32
>> Application."
>>
>> I've included the proper redistributable (for VS2010EE SP1, in this
>> case), and I can see it run at installation time. But Wireshark won't
>> run.
>>
>> I'm not sure what I'm missing. Is Windows7/VS2010EE not the
>> appropriate combination to build on for XP and Vista?
>
> I don't know what should or shouldn't work, but the official builds are
> built on:
>
> Win32: Windows XP
> Win64: Windows 7
>
> You can check information about the build servers on the buildbot page:
>
> http://buildbot.wireshark.org/trunk/waterfall

Do you have the Cygwin "file" package installed on your build system? If
so, what does "file wireshark-gtk2/wireshark.exe" return? Also, are you
trying to build a 64-bit executable using Visual C++ 2010EE? If so, that
might require extra effort:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1865069/how-to-compile-a-64-bit-application-using-visual-c-2010-express