Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building Wireshark on Windows

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:38:23 -0500
David Ameiss wrote:
What is the platform used by Wireshark to build the "official" 32- and 64-bit Windows versions? I've followed the instructions given at http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html, on Windows 7 using VS 2010EE (which seem to be the recommended platform). Builds fine, runs fine on Window 7. But on XP and Vista (at least), running the generated Wireshark installer works fine, but trying to run Wireshark always results in "Wireshark is not a valid Win32 Application."

I've included the proper redistributable (for VS2010EE SP1, in this case), and I can see it run at installation time. But Wireshark won't run.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Is Windows7/VS2010EE not the appropriate combination to build on for XP and Vista?

I don't know what should or shouldn't work, but the official builds are built on:

Win32: Windows XP
Win64: Windows 7

You can check information about the build servers on the buildbot page:

http://buildbot.wireshark.org/trunk/waterfall