Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] error while doing "make rpm-package" on wireshark latest tru

From: P Gyanesh Patra <c3m3gyanesh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 09:13:57 +0530
Thanks for your reply. I still have one doubt :).

How will i make sure that the Qt Tools will not get build while doing "make rpm-package" ?

-
Gyanesh

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pascal Quantin wrote:
[Back to -dev mailing list]

2012/10/7 P Gyanesh Patra <c3m3gyanesh@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:c3m3gyanesh@xxxxxxxxx>>

     just need one info..
    i am compiling wireshark on centos6.1 64bit..     while doing "make rpm-package" i am getting following error:

    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/wireshark-svn/wireshark/ui/qt'
    uic main_welcome.ui -o ui_main_welcome.h
    make[1]: uic: Command not found
    make[1]: *** [ui_main_welcome.h] Error 127

    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/wireshark-svn/wireshark/ui/qt'
    make: *** [distdir] Error 1

    Please tell me what package i need to install as i have tried to
    search a lot but still unable to fix it.
    Gyanesh

  Hi Gyanesh,

uic is the Qt user interface compiler (used to build qtShark, a new GUI based on Qt framework). So you need to install the Qt packages for CentOS. Not sure why the compilation of qtShark is part of the make rpm-package though as I have never built such package myself. Maybe someone else can give an advice.

The "problem" is that RPMs are (always) built from source tarballs. When you're doing a "make rpm-package" you're working from the (untar'd or from SVN) source so in order to make an RPM the tools must first do "make dist" to make the tarball.

"make dist" currently requires you to have the Qt stuff installed (presumably that makes sense from a Qt perspective).

I've noticed this before and have intentionally *not* added the Qt tools to the list of things you must have to build Wireshark: most of us aren't building Qt anyway...  But it does leave us in an ugly situation: autogen.sh doesn't complain that the tools are missing and if you don't then "make dist" (or a Qt build?) fails much later on.