Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] r45615: Read the program name rather than hardcoding it

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:13:59 -0700
On Oct 17, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One use case is a internal version which would be nice to be able to install co-existing with a
> release version with separate profiles and preferences. Having a different program name makes it clearer
> that it *is* a internal version.

...but what's different about it isn't its name, what's different about it is the version.

Furthermore, there isn't even an "it" - there are at least two "it"s, Wireshark and TShark.  For that use case, what would the internal versions of Wireshark and TShark be called?  If it'd be "wireshark-XXX" and "tshark-XXX" for some value of "XXX", perhaps the preference directory should be {Wireshark,.wireshark}-XXX, although there might also be cases where the name is different but the preferences directory should be shared, so perhaps the two should be configured independently.