Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building for Windows without zlib?

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 01:40:36 +0100

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM, <robert.bullen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I build Wireshark for Windows without zlib. It works faster, but I think that is more the result of consuming less memory than an actual speed increase. In addition, it allows files larger than 2 GB to be read (at least that used to be a reason; not sure if it is still valid). One drawback is that compressed HTTP payloads are not decoded.

What you need to modify in config.nmake is ZLIB_CONFIG:

Change from this:

ZLIB_CONFIG=^#define HAVE_LIBZ 1

To this:

ZLIB_CONFIG=

Robert Bullen

I finally tried this.  As I expected, it didn't make any measurable difference.
Martin