Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 45462: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 02:04:53 -0400
On 10/11/2012 1:27 AM, Guy Harris wrote:
Actually, this one:

     for(sid_number = 1; sid_number <= number_of_sids; sid_number++) {
       proto_tree_add_item(parameter_tree, hf_stream_reset_sid, parameter_tvb, sid_offset, SID_LENGTH, ENC_BIG_ENDIAN);
       sid_offset += SID_LENGTH;
     }

could conceivably *not* cause a bounds error, as it looks as if it'd
be executed even if parameter_tree is null, in which case the
proto_tree_add_item() calls will just return without fetching
anything from the tvbuff.  (That's why the buildbot bug I fixed with
a similar change only showed up when I ran TShark *without* -V -
*with* -v, proto_tree_add_item() actually fetched data from the
tvbuff and threw a bounds error when it went past the end of the
packet, but without it (and without any display/read filter or color
filter or anything else that required building a protocol tree or
even just fetching protocol field values), nothing was fetched and no
exceptions were thrown.

Yes; After the commit, and after looking at your patch a bit more closely, I realized that my comment was probably incorrect....

I've done a search and found other possible cases which I'll review in more detail tomorrow.