Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] GTK3 vs GTK2: visual differences: frame border

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 15:59:41 -0400
While working with a *nix version of GTK3 Wireshark, I noticed that the "pull-down" menus ("File", "Edit", etc) were not clearly delineated from the underlying window.

IOW: there's no "border" around the drop-down.

To my eye the missing borders make the dropdowns more difficult to read.

[
... Compiled (32-bit) with GTK+ 3.4.4, with Cairo 1.10.2, with Pango 1.30.0, with GLib 2.32.4, ...

Running on Linux 3.5.4-2.fc17.i686.PAE, with locale en_US.UTF-8
]

Does anyone know if the missing borders are related to the statement that:

"borders around frames have been deprecated
since the early days of the 2.x HIG, and the new Adwaita theme
enforces this visual style." ?

-- https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2012-September/msg00035.html

See also: "Frames and Separators"

-- http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.5/controls-frames.html.en

(I'm Assuming that this effect isn't something about my particular configuration):

There's also some stuff I don't understand about rendering frame borders in the GTK3 porting guide under "Theming changes".

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.0/ch25s02.html

As the above indicates, it appears that frame borders, in general, are gone. I haven't spent any time going thru all the usage to see if things look reasonably OK w/o borders.

Has anyone looked into this subject ?

Bill