Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] should editcap support -H and -W?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 11:02:07 -0700
On Oct 2, 2012, at 7:52 AM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed today (in fighting to get name resolution blocks into my
> PCAPNG files) that editcap does not (contrary to the man page) support
> the "-H" and "-W" options.  Should it?
>
> I coded up a patch today but realized that it would require linking
> editcap against libwireshark.  Do we care?
>
> The other aspect is that adding name resolution blocks can already be
> done with tshark (in which the "-H" and "-W" options do work).

Exactly.  We already have a command-line tool that reads and writes capture files, is linked with libwireshark, and supports -H and -W; I'm not sure we need another one.

Either that, or some or all of epan/addr_resolv.c should be moved to libwiretap or libwsutil, so you don't need libwireshark in order to usefully read or write Name Resolution Blocks (or the equivalent information in whatever other capture file formats support that).