Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compilation failure - privileges.c: In function 'relinquish_

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:51:37 -0400
On 9/29/2012 5:49 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My inclination: test the return value of the various set*id calls and if
fail, do g_error().

Thoughts ?

I'd be tempted to make it a g_warning() since Wireshark will
*probably* keep working despite the problem. The general approach
seems sound though.

After thinking about this a bit, I've decided to abort given that if an attempt to reduce privileges fails for some obscure reason, it's probably best not to proceed with possibly elevated privileges.