Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Building for Windows without zlib?

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:53:29 +0100
Hi,

At one stage, building without zlib support meant that opening/reading files was much faster than with.  On this machine, the performance under Windows is much worse than under linux, so I wanted to try doing a windows build in this way.

There are 2 places in config.nmake that let you comment out the definition of ZLIB_DIR, so I commented out them both.
The build went OK, but when I tried to run, an error would pop up saying that gzdirect couldn't be found in zlib1.dll.

Is anyone currently doing windows builds without zlib, and if it works, is it noticeably faster?

Martin