Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The Wireshark documentation for building on Windows may need

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:56:18 -0400
On 9/23/2012 6:20 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Sep 23, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While investigating the issue about win32.mak being not part of VS2012, I think I also read that SDK 8 is smaller because the SDK no longer includes compilers & etc and that the compilers needed to be downloaded separately (VS2012EE, etc).

So do you know whether

	1) VS2012 EE includes both 32-bit and 64-bit compilers;

	2) VS2012 EE includes the full SDK, a partial SDK, or no SDK;

	3) VS2012 $E's include the SDK?  ("$E" meaning "for-pay edition")

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852363.aspx

Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows 8

<snip>

"The Windows SDK no longer ships with a complete command-line build environment. You must install a compiler and build environment separately. If you require a complete development environment that includes compilers and a build environment, you can download Visual Studio 2012 Express, which includes the appropriate components of the Windows SDK."

--
The VS2012 download seems to include what I think is a full SDK, altho I didn't pay any attention to things such as tools, etc. I was happy that Wireshark built without any problems (other than the missing win32.mak).

Note that the SDK installs in a different place thatn the previous SDks.

I *think* both 32bit and 64bit compilers (and SDK ?) are available as part of VS2012 although I can't find the page with the info at the moment;

https://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-desktop#product-express-desktop-details

states that bupport for both 32 bit and 64 bit is available.

"
System Requirements

Supported operating systems

�Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64)
�Windows 8 (x86 and x64)
�Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)
�Windows Server 2012 (x64)

Supported architectures

�32-bit (x86)
�64-bit (x64)
"

I've no idea about the $E edition, but since VS2012 includes all or much of the SDK I would think that a $E edition would include at least as much.

P.S. I've been compiling with VS2012 and it seems to be working OK (32 bit).