Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Feature Request: Sync Capture Time to NTP packets

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:16:11 -0400
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Jeff Klingler <jklingler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kudos to all you developers for such a great tool!  I did a brief
> search and couldn't find any discussion of a feature I would like to
> see added:
>
> Sync the capture time in a file relative to the time settings found in
> an NTP server responses.  Maybe select a particular server, or a
> particular NTP response packet, right click and say "Time Shift".
>
> This would be magical for those packet captures where you don't
> control the system clock.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the idea, it does sound useful in certain situations. I
would appreciated it if you could file an enhancement request for it
on bugzilla [1], as emails on the mailing-list tend to be forgotten
about after a while.

That's not to say that someone is guaranteed to look at it if it's on
bugzilla - we're mostly volunteers after all - but it stands a much
better chance. And of course we always accept patches if you want to
code it yourself :)

Cheers,
Evan

[1] https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/