Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: David Aggeler <david_aggeler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:32:16 +0200

[Graham Bloice said]

Some folks have articulated the drawbacks (to them) of making these
changes but I haven't seen any actual advantages listed.  Can anyone list
them as they see it?
Well I used to work on packet-dcm for a while, and considering myself a novice, it was painful to find 'my' files after all the packet-dcep.... Try to type the filename in the directory. If you don't get all 10 character right, you're off. So for me it would have been a benefit to take the big ones out to allow typing in the file explorer.

>> fold into one large file

I really hate the 3100 lines of protocol definitions in packet-dcm.c , but since i didn't consider the protocol that important, I never dared to ask for a 2nd .c file. And comments were not that friendly, when I had it in the include file.

In addition, I also don't see the benefit in the 'packet-' prefix.

And since we are at it, the 'epan' directory for sure makes sense to all those working on the framework, but for me as a dissector contributor, it's just a deeper hierarchy.

David