Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:47:14 -0400
Joerg Mayer wrote:
What I'd like to do is put these dissectors that belong *to a single protocol*
into a subdirectory of that name, i.e. move them to

xmpp/packet-conference.c
xmpp/packet-conference.h
xmpp/packet-core.c
xmpp/packet-core.h
xmpp/packet-gtalk.c
xmpp/packet-gtalk.h
xmpp/packet-jingle.c
xmpp/packet-jingle.h
xmpp/packet-other.c
xmpp/packet-other.h
xmpp/packet-utils.c
xmpp/packet-utils.h
xmpp/packet-xmpp.c    <- special case, main protocol name
xmpp/packet-xmpp.h    <- special case, main protocol name

What do you think?

I'm not 100% convinced either way, but I have to admit I do like having all the dissectors in the same directory. "make -j 40" (on my 32-vCPU SPARC) works better that way ;-). More seriously, I imagine I'd find it easier to do:

vi epan/dissectors/packet-xmpp<tab><tab>

instead of:

[1] insert grumpy remark here

I also like being able to, for example:

grep tvb_get_ptr epan/dissectors/packet-*.c

instead of:

grep tvb_get_ptr epan/dissectors/packet-*.c epan/dissectors/*/packet-*.c