Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:20:09 -0400
Evan Huus wrote:
I've never understood why they're all prefixed with packet- anyways,
the fact that they're in epan/dissectors should be enough?

Because they were originally in the top-level directory (!, at least until you consider how few dissectors Wireshark^WEthereal originally had). They were "stuck" there until the CVS->SVN migration which allowed the files to be moved while keeping their history.

I have occasionally wondered whether we should strip off the "packet-" part, but I think I've just gotten used to it. It does sorta make it obvious from just the file name (excluding the path information) that it's a dissector (except for "packet-range.*" in the top-level directory, hmmm).