Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Passing NULL to %s format specifiers

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:32:10 -0700
On Aug 16, 2012, at 7:04 AM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:08:02PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
>> And then fork GCC and clang and enhance them to do string-vs-argument-list checking for our extensions. :-)
>
> Well if we could drop MSVC, and start using C99 (or C11) than definitely yes!

MSVC doesn't do strings-vs-argument-list checking for printf-like routines, as far as I know; that's something we leave to GCC and clang.  If we add additional format string modifiers, we'd want them to be checked at compile time if at all possible.  ("Never put off until run time what you can do at compile time." - especially if it's checking; a compiler error presented to the developer is better than a run-time error presented to the user, no matter how good the run-time error.)