Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Passing NULL to %s format specifiers

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:15:15 -0400
Evan Huus wrote:
On Linux and most other operating systems I know of, passing a NULL to
a %s format specifier is safe. On Solaris, as it turns out, it isn't
[1].

The case in the filed bug is fairly trivial to fix, but I'm wondering
if this is something that should be added to the Code Style /
Portability section of README.developer?

Alternatively, since I have no idea how many of these bugs we may have
to fix, perhaps we should be wrapping all format strings somehow?

Hopefully someone with some Solaris experience (or even a Solaris test
box) could weigh in, since I have neither.

For the record we last discussed this a little over a year ago:

http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201105/msg00202.html

As for adding something to the doc: sure but I doubt it'll help much.