Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Kasumi code (Was: rev 44384: ... kasumi.h ...)

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:26:04 +0200
On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:53:48PM +0200, Anders Broman wrote:
> Sorry I'm not sure what you are trying to say here:
> >What would cause problems would be using (and for all practical purposes) the distribution of an *executable*
> >that uses the compiled code.
>
> That would be Wireshark if the code was included, wouldn't it?

No, as long as it is only included in source form, there should be no problem
(at least the Intel lawyers didn't see a problem with putting patentencumbered
source code into Mesa) as long as this feature is not compiled in by default
but requires a magic configure switch. This puts the burden of verifying the
patent compliance on the person that configures Wireshark with that configure
switch - which is basically the same act as putting the (missing) kasumi source
files into your build tree and changing the #define in kasumi.h

> I'm not willing to committ any code as long as I'm unsure about the implications of doing so.

That is a perfectly valid position.

> If some one feels confident that this is no problem they can committ code to do the decryption.

Yes, I feel confident enough that I would do that - my problem is, I don't have
the code (the example/reference implementation can't be used because that would
be a copyright violation). So if a GPLv2+ compatible implementation in C was
available somewhere on the Internet, I would get it and commit it. OK, I would
ask Gerald whether he wanted to veto this before actually committing anything.

> If you feel thet the dissector should not continue to go in this direction we can keep it private.

No, my position on that is that every bit that makes dissection better should go in.
I'm just greedy for as much as possible ;-)

Ciao
      Jörg

PS: If there is still more need for clarification please ask - I don't want
  to push anyone to do something that they feel might be illegal!