Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture File Archive

From: Kurt Knochner <ws.dev.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 10:51:29 +0200

==> Guy Harris wrote:

I don't know whether pcapr.net accepts files that aren't in pcap (or

I mentioned pcapr just as an example. I think it would be better to host that archive in the wireshark.org domain.

Presumably you mean "what protocols are used", as pcapr doesn't take

that's what I wanted to say.

==> Jeff Morriss wrote:

FWIW tools/list_protos_in_cap.sh and tools/indexcap.py can be used to generate a "database" (flat file) of capture files and the protocols

thanks, I was not aware of those tools.

==> Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

 Thanks to Jeff and his info about tools/list_protos_in_cap.sh here is
the list:
 http://www.wireshark.org/~darkjames/capture-files.txt

Great, thanks for this.

nor I'll create nice webgui like pcapr or cloudshark have.

What about having a cloudshark system for wireshark, like cloud.wireshark.org? This could be used as a repository for the cpature file archive.

As I mentioned, the guys at cloudshark.org (presumably) offered to provide a cloudshark system to the wireshark dev team.

<cite>
We'd be interested in providing a CloudShark system to the Wireshark dev team. This would give you lots of control over your capture files and allow a capture to be public or require authentication. There are several models that could be deployed. Captures can be organized and searched using the tagging system. If anyone wants to take the lead on this, I'd be happy to talk with you and explore this possibility. You can contact us at http://appliance.cloudshark.org/contact.html
</cite>

Sounds like a compelling offer. Is anyone of the core developers willing to contact them and "negotiate the conditions"?

Such a system could be used to host the capture file archive and the uploads for ask.wireshark.org. I'm willing to particpate in setting up and "maintaining" such a system, if any help is needed.

Thanks!

Regards
Kurt