Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is Python Still Considered Optional for the Build Process? W

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:44:48 -0400
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Pascal Quantin
<pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le mardi 31 juillet 2012, Balint Reczey a écrit :
>
>> On 07/31/2012 09:59 AM, Pascal Quantin wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> just for information the Linux development machine I have at work (Debian
>>> Lenny)
>>> is still packaging python 2.5 by default (unfortunately). It would be
>>> great if
>>> we could keep compatibility with older machines.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Pascal.
>>>
>> Hi Pascal,
>>
>> Lenny is oldstable and is not supported even by the Debian Project itself.
>> Please upgrade to Squeeze.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Balint
>

> Hi Balint,
>
> I would be happy to do so but the IT guys do not share my point of vue ;)
> For what it is worth, projects like Mercurial SCM (written mostly in Python)
> are still maintaining compatibility with Python 2.4.

The Django Web Framework also still has a release that's supported
under 2.4 (although their most recent release requires 2.5).

The original question was whether dropping support for 2.4 was OK.
Since even Debian oldstable has 2.5, I don't see that as a problem.
Moving all the way to 2.6 might be an issue though, so I suggest we
hold off on that for now.

Cheers,
Evan