Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: New language to write dissectors
From: Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:30:35 -0400
Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
From my perspective: I really use ~ 20 dissectors, why I need all of them?
Admittedly 99% of the time I normally only use 10-15 dissectors, but
OTOH every once in a while I'll start Wireshark to figure out why my
<insert service/application here> is <slow, not working, whatever> and
it's nice that my Wireshark automatically decodes
<service/application>'s traffic.
Anyway, what does it matter to me if there are 20 dissectors or 1000?
Wireshark's startup time is still fairly fast[1].  Could it be faster?
Sure, why not.  Do I care?  Not as much as making dissecting and
filtering faster.
[1] On my *old* desktop it takes ~1.5 seconds between when I start the
GUI though (manually) hitting Ctrl-Q and when the process exits.
(Admittedly I probably ran it recently so most of the pages are in
memory already.)