Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Trunk not playing nicely with Ubuntu's overlay scrollbars

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:12:08 -0400
On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Jakub Zawadzki
> <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:01:21PM -0400, Evan Huus wrote:
>>> For the last few days, SVN builds have been crashing immediately on my
>>> Ubuntu Quantal system due to Ubuntu's overlay scrollbars. The
>>> backtrace is *entirely* within GTK and liboverlay-scrollbar, which
>>> means it's either a bug in liboverlay-scrollbar (which is possible, as
>>> this is an Ubuntu pre-release) or in the way we're setting up
>>> scrollbars and GTK boxes and such (which is also possible, as that
>>> area of the code has been seeing some churn).
>>
>> It crash before or after opening capture file?
>
> It crashes whenever I mouse over a scroll-bar. I can open and browse
> capture files (including using BytesView) just fine as long as I
> perform the mouse gymnastics necessary to avoid touching a scrollbar.
> As soon as that happens, it crashes.
>
>>> I'll try and do a bisection
>>> tomorrow, but if anyone who's been making some of the GTK changes
>>> could shed some light, that would be appreciated.
>>
>> Probably BytesView ;-)
>> Can you check if it's started crashing in r43728 (or any later compiling revision)?
>
> Disabling liboverlay-scrollbar and reverting to normal GTK scrollbars
> works fine, which seems to point the finger at liboverlay-scrollbar,
> not us, but I'll still run the bisection.

This is rather bizarre. The problem is revision 43646. I have
double-checked by reverting just those two lines on my local latest
trunk, and the bisection is accurate - somehow revision 43646 is the
problem.

I see that the code it calls does some things with the packet display,
but the crash is happening even on the main page before loading a
capture, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any ideas?