Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 43654: /trunk/ui/gtk/ /trunk/ui/gtk/

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:23:09 -0400

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:43 PM, martinm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Note that both of these improvements would also apply to tcp_graph.c -
> will wait a couple of days to be sure the changes are good.

To what extent could code be shared between them - and exported to other taps that draw graphs (present or future)?

There is a fair bit of functionality that they have in common, there are relatively few places that are really specific to my different protocol (LTE RLC).  I did end up taking out the control panel window and magnifying tool for my version, so there are now several places where I had to avoid trying to look at the state of widgets that for me don't exist, which may make factoring out common code a little bit trickier.  As far as I can tell mine is the only other time-sequence graph based upon the tcp_graph code (io_stat.c looks like it was written quite independently).

I am undecided about this... I don't know how many protocols are out there that lend themselves to this kind of graphing.  I had wanted to do mine for a long time, but was put off by how complicated I thought it was going to be.  If there was a nice, well-documented framework with obvious places to put my protocol-specific hooks, I might have created my tap a long time ago.

I will have a go at pulling common code out into a separate file and see if it looks like it'll be worth it.

Martin